Donating Blood in Gwangju

Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person — the gift of life. A decision to donate your blood can save a life, or even several people’s lives if your blood is separated into its components. Red cells, platelets and plasma can be used individually for patients with specific conditions. I headed downtown to the blood bank, which is right across from NC Wave, to find out how international residents can go about donating blood.

The process:
First and foremost, I suggest taking a Korean friend with you if you are not proficient in Korean. Unfortunately, there is no one there currently who speaks English and the process is rather complicated without translation.

As you enter the building, you will find several cubicles with computers on your left. Here you need to open an account and complete the questionnaire. Questions range from “How are you feeling today?” to “Are you on any specific medication?” I can justify all these questions — there is no bias attached to international residents donating. After that, you will proceed to the reception, receive a number and then head up to the second floor.

On the second floor, a nurse will meet with you and ask further questions. She will also prick your finger, which should not hurt, to check if your blood and immune system are both in good condition for blood donation. If you are cleared and in perfect health, you can head to the blood donation beds. Here, the nurse will make you feel comfortable and at ease. She will even provide refreshments while donating blood. The whole process can take 40-60 minutes, so give yourself some time to donate blood. It is not painful and the staff on hand are friendly and helpful.

Conditions:
This is the tricky part. I have heard so many rumors, such as “In Korea, foreigners’ blood is only used for foreigners” or “Foreigners are not allowed to donate.” These claims are false. However, there are certain conditions for a foreigner, and these conditions are applicable in any country where you do not reside permanently.

• In order to donate blood, you have to have lived in South Korea for at least one year.
• If you have traveled abroad in the last two months, you are not allowed to donate.
• Make sure you eat a hearty meal at least two hours before donating.
• You have to weigh at least 100 pounds (45 kilograms).
• Other aspects of each potential donor’s health history are discussed as part of the donation process before any blood is collected. Each donor receives a brief examination during which temperature, pulse, blood pressure and hemoglobin, or hematocrit, are all measured.

You do not have to be a doctor to save lives! This is a gift worth giving into the new year!
Gwangju Blood Bank’s Contact Information:
Address: Gwangju, Dong-gu, Chungjangno 3(sam)-ga, 32-3
Phone: 062-232-9494

Leave a Reply