More Than a Stretch

India-GraduationWhat is yoga? To many it is just some form of eccentric exercise with strange poses that are not for them. Meghan Cox, Chosun University yoga instructor, believes it is much more than just exercise. For her, yoga is the union of the lower and higher self, the combining of the conscious and the subconscious. It is a spiritual, mental, and physical practice to get in touch with your inner self. “Yoga for me is about helping people realize you do not have to be anything more than what you are,” Cox said. “To reach this element that is quiet, calm, and just amazing. I like showing people you can be strong, you can be any shape and size, and find success in yoga because it is only about yourself.”

There are numerous benefits to practicing yoga: it relieves stress, calms the mind, detoxifies while increasing flexibility and awareness of the body, improves sleep, develops physical and mental strength, and much more.

Yoga 2Cox began practicing yoga ten years ago, but it was not a big part of her life until she moved to Korea. “I began viewing yoga just as a sweaty cardio exercise, as most of western society does, but once I started learning about the history, the morals, and the guiding point within me, that is when I began to really get into yoga,” she said. “I had a good teacher and it was the first time I was exposed to Indian yoga and the values, depths, and layers behind the exercise.”

She decided to travel to Mysore, India, the place where yoga was born, to become an instructor. For six rigorous weeks she studied diligently from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. everyday and completed her certification. After returning to Gwangju, she began sharing her knowledge through teaching.

Priscilla McCelvey recently joined the class. “I have practiced yoga through different studios and on my own, and working with Meg has been my favorite hands down,”said McClevey. “She is really knowledgeable, kind, and helpful and is able to guide practice really well. Plus her voice is really soothing, which helps during meditation.”

YogaTo keep the energy high, Cox creates many enjoyable activities for her yoga students. She has done a Wellness Workshop in Damyang, which included transportation to a countryside house, food, discussions about wellness and digestion as well as students’ personal journeys and goals, and an evening bonfire with tea. There have been hikes up Mudeung Mountain and a winter potluck at the end of the semester. The next events will be a half-day Yin yoga intensive workshop, a full-weekend yoga retreat, and an extended hike up Mudeung Mountain.

“Yoga is really an awesome way to exercise; it is a complete mind/body experience,” said Roxanne Kockott, another yoga student. “I feel like yoga changes your life in so many ways. You generally feel like a happier person, more able to cope and deal with the daily stresses of life. Meg has a lovely energy that makes you feel welcomed and at home, which in my opinion is what yoga is fundamentally all about.”

Cox’s program is a great opportunity for those of any level who are interested in yoga. You can join this welcoming community and experience a newfound peace for yourself.

Leave a Reply