The Jeolla Do Re Mi’s

What do Tetris, James Bond and Game of Thrones have in common? Any member of the Jeolla Do Re Mi’s would say: great music. Their theme songs were just a few of the classic compositions that Heather Aiken and Caitlin O’Neill, the GPP’s choir directors, drew from when arranging a commissioned “geek” medley for AlleyCon this September. While AlleyCon, a local gaming convention, was only the second performance for Gwangju Performance Project’s new choir, it was also an experience that gave them a glimpse of their potential.

“I was really humbled by the response of the choristers,” said Aiken. “They worked so hard. They were excited about the pieces we were doing because they knew them from when they were kids. The best bit about it was that we were able to change and rewrite the pieces to work with the voices that we had, and I think that they really took that seriously and were very respectful of that.”

Aiken, an Australian, has studied music since she was a child. In addition to playing both piano and cello, she also performed with a range of eclectic choirs that sang everything from chorals to jazz and pop. So naturally, when she moved to South Korea last year, she was drawn to the local arts scene, making friends with foreigners of various performing arts backgrounds. It was while being involved in a local play that she was struck with the idea of starting a choir.

“I was intending to start a choir after the play,” said Aiken. “But then I read on the Gwangju [Facebook] page that someone wanted to know if there was a choir in the area, then I thought, ‘Yes, let’s do it.’”

After advertising on Facebook and holding an initial membership meeting at The First Alleyway restaurant this spring, Aiken began the GPP Choir —the only foreign choir in Gwangju. The meeting sparked the curiosity of opera singers and novices alike, among them Kristy Dolson.

“I wanted to join because I missed being in a choir,” said Dolson. The Canadian soprano had been involved in choirs throughout high school. “I love that I get the opportunity to sing different songs that I wouldn’t get to sing on my own. I love the fact that it’s foreigners from all different areas of the world coming together here and we have so many different talents and backgrounds.”The GPP Choir performs at Alleycon 2014

There are currently 13 members in the group with diverse skill levels, experience and musical preferences. Every Saturday at 3:30 p.m., they meet in a small classroom in the Gwangju International Center (GIC) for rehearsal. The atmosphere is casual and friendly, with snacks donated by a member each week. Members ease into warm-ups with scales and then try a few bars of a new song.

“Sometimes Korea can be kind of a lonely place if you don’t find the avenue to get involved in some way,” said choir member Erin Stewart. Stewart, an American, has years of experience singing with a cappella choirs specializing in ancient chorals. She likes the choir because everyone can contribute, but the level of commitment is flexible. “I would really encourage [anyone interested in the choir] not to worry… Just come. It’s pretty low key.”

The group’s first performance was with a semi-professional group at a GIC concert this May. “The score was in Korean,” laughed Aiken. “That was an interesting way to get us all started.”

Aiken stressed that her goal is to create a fun and non-exclusive outlet for the foreign community to experience music.

“It’s challenging, and the sort of thing you can join and put in as much or as little work as you want,” explained Aiken. “But you can come and end up feeling inspired to work harder.”

This December, the group plans to carol through downtown Gwangju to raise funds for a local children’s charity.

“For me, a choir is such a great way to make yourself happy and to feel good,” said Aiken. “There are scientific studies showing that singing is great for you. So you get the chance to perform and not feel judged for your voice, and to understand that when you’re part of a choir it’s not about making one voice stand out. It’s about creating a community.”

To join the Jeolla Do Re Mi’s, email gwangjuplayers@gmail.com or contact the group through Facebook at gwangjuperpro.

Leave a Reply