“What kind of outdoor activity would you recommend to foreigners in Korea in the winter season?”

Compiled by Lee Jeonghwa, Kim  Hyunyoung, Han Jeongbong, Han Juyeon, and Yong Yuri

Moon Injoo, 24 years old, from Chonnam National University

In winter, I recommend foreigners to go ice fishing. A lot of ice fishing festivals are held in Korea. For example, there is a trout festival in Pyeongchang. You can go fishing, ride a sled, go snowrafting and experience various activities with snow there. It might be an enjoyable time in Korea that you will never forget. If you want to get more information about ice fishing, you can easily get it online. I think there are not enough activities you can do in winter and I prefer to go to ice fishing festivals because I can do many interesting things at once. Go there and make valuable memories.

Back Ji-young , 48 years old, from Korea

Winter in Korea has sam-han-sa-on, which means three days are cold and four days are warm. So I recommend going hiking or to an outdoor skating rink on the warm, sunny days with low wind. I recommend going to Jungmeritjae at Mudeung Mountain, Gangchun Temple in Sunchang and Guemsung Sansung in Damyang. Their levels are relatively gentle and take moderate time to climb. Also visitors can go to the temple on the mountain’s peak to enjoy the view and a landscape of snow. Furthermore, people can enjoy dining there.

Kristen Apruzzese, English teacher from United States.

I grew up in a warm climate, so winter is very exciting for me! Since I didn’t see a lot of snow as a child, I like to do the things kids usually do when it snows, like build a snowman or have a snowball fight. I also like to go outside and take pictures to share with my friends in California. Ice skating is another way to take advantage of the winter weather. Last year, I went to the outdoor rink in Sangmu, and I plan to go again this year.

Kim Tae-hoon, 26 years old, from Korea

I really want to recommend climbing a mountain in winter. Usually, I love scenes of nature, for example a mountain, sea, an island, so on… But I think a mountain has a variety of attractive things depending on the season. Every time I see a mountain in winter, I feel like it’s a frozen castle covered with snow and ice.

Actually, in winter, many people don’t want to go out. So another activity that I recommend to you is just to take a walk. Just walk around your town sampling Korean delicacy street foods, such as bungeo bbang, or hoddeok, odaeng.

Kim Jin-cheol, 52, from Korea

I strongly recommend that people in Gwangju should climb a mountain in winter, because freezing cold makes you usually stay inside with lovely heaters or electric blankets. If you continue to do this, your joints will begin to make sounds and you will have a weak body which makes it easy to get a cold.

So, how about climbing Mudeung Mountain? Chuwol Mountain in Damyang and Mannyeon Mountain in Hwasun are great choices, as well. I am sure it will refresh your body and you will have a crush on the magnificent sight when arriving at Janbuljae Pass on Mudeung. Also, a frozen waterfall is waiting for you on the way. It will create an illusion like you’re in the Disney movie “Frozen” for a while.

And to enjoy your climbing safely, you have to know several tips. An early start for climbing is good but you should descend a mountain before 5 p.m. If you don’t, you will shortly get lost. In addition, it is essential to wear many pieces of thin clothing to adjust your body temperature. This weekend I plan to climb up to Janbiljae. How about you?

Leave a Reply