Gwangju Talks

Have You Attended Design Biennale in the Past? What Is Your Opinion of the Event?

Written and interviewed by Ki Su-yeon and Lee So-eun
Ki Ha-ri (21, Female)

When I was a middle school student, I attended Design Biennale as a field tour. It inspired me to want be a art designer. As you know, Gwangju is famous for being a city of Art. So I think this event helps to revive the local economy. It also brings cultural awareness to citizens. Some people, such as students majoring art, know about this event, but other people don’t know about this event. I think we need to find some way to attract more people.

Cho Nam-hee (27, Male)

Though I am a citizen of Gwangju, it is a shame to say that I have never been to the Gwangju Design Biennale or the Gwangju Biennale. However, I have heard plenty about how successful those exhibitions were. These two renowned exhibitions give the citizens opportunities to see and experience high-end artworks not offered in other places in the country. I have no doubt that these two events are the that represent Gwangju which everybody feels proud of.

Lee Eun-ju (29, Female)

I saw Design Biennale in 2011. Although I didn’t know much about art, I enjoyed various works of art at that moment. Most art works were made of materials which we can easily see in our life. Design Biennale made me feel a profound interest in art design. I think it is a very good way to help people better understand art. I hope many people would understand the value of holding this interesting art exhibition through Design Biennale in Gwangju.

Han Lee-seul (27, Female)

It was really difficult to understand the works as beginner of art and there were not many pieces which attracted my attention. Even if Design Biennale was held, I am not really interested in it after that experience. It was quite a long time ago, so I hope that it has changed a lot.

Leave a Reply