Remembering Mike: Gwangju Community Builder

Written by William Mulligan

I was lucky to have met Michael Simning when I first moved to Gwangju in 2009. He made you feel welcome, like you were a longtime friend or family member. That’s why it was very difficult to say “no” when Mike asked you to volunteer for something. I have to admit, I didn’t do a lot of volunteering before I came to Korea. The first city in Korea that I lived in was great, but there weren’t many opportunities to take the initiative. The first event I helped with was the GIC’s Gwangju International Community Day (GIC Day) a number of years back. Mike was in remission from cancer, but the disease had taken a toll on him. I remember him wearing a mask that day to protect him, but he was still full of spirit and cracking jokes with all the volunteers. I don’t think many of us knew that day would be one of the last events that he would ever participate in. He had battled cancer and won, but the after effects were just too much. Mike passed away in February of 2014. His friends and family took their time to mourn him, but many also realized that he’d want us to remember him in a more positive light.

2017 Candidates of Michael Simning Community Builder Award

In 2015, a group of Mike’s friends founded the Michael Simning Community Builder Award. The GIC Day probably wouldn’t be the success that it is today if it weren’t for Mike’s help. He started getting people together to volunteer at local orphanages for Christmas parties and other events. Mike was a family man as well. At many activities around town, you’d see him with his wife and daughter. He wanted the families of Gwangju to get together regardless of whether they came from Canada or India. Mike wanted to make the city of Gwangju a better place for everyone, and there was no better way to recognize this than to create an award in his honor. The award is given to an individual, or individuals, who contribute to the city of Gwangju by volunteering. Sometimes English teachers or just expats in general get a bad reputation, but I like to think (and I might be biased) that the expat community gives back to this city in so many ways.

Mike in Gwangju International Community Day

Past winners have included those who’ve carried on for Mike in the causes that he believed a lot in. Al Barnum, the first winner, played an integral part in raising awareness of and money for the Adopt-a-Child project. Other winners have also included those who give their time for the many international families of Gwangju, those who help put focus on women’s issues, and the people who work many hours to make sure that kids have a gift for the holidays. Since the award started four years ago, over two dozen people have been nominated for the volunteer work that they do.

For the past three years, it’s been an honor to be involved with the Michael Simning Community Builder Award. Every year, I’m amazed by how people want to make Gwangju a better place, no matter how long they plan to stay here. It gives me a great feeling to be a part of this community, and I know that Mike would approve as well. Not only does this award honor people for their work, but it also encourages others to volunteer. The great thing about Gwangju is that if there’s a cause that you believe in, you’ll get a lot of help from people here.

Hawaiian shirt, trademark of Michael Simning.

The award is traditionally given at the beginning of June, just before Mike’s birthday. At the past ceremonies held at the Gwangju International Center, we’ve always ended with a birthday cake for him. Also, the winner receives a cash prize for their group or organization to continue the work they’ve started. In keeping with Mike’s tradition of wearing Hawaiian shirts, winners have also received a flowery Hawaiian shirt as part of the award. This year’s nominees for the Michael Simning Community Builder Award are Daniel Wallace, Karina Prananto, and Misub Hur.

One reason why I love living in Gwangju is the people I’ve met here. We all have regular jobs that take up a lot of our time, but there are many who still find a way to give back and volunteer. That’s the reason why the Michael Simning Community Builder Award was founded. To all those who do volunteer, even if he didn’t know you, Mike would be very proud.

Photographs courtesy of GFN and Gwangju Community Builders

The Author
William Mulligan has been a resident of Gwangju for over ten years. He enjoys spending time with his son and his friends here.

Leave a Reply