Getting Familiar with CrossFit at YongBong Training Center: An Interview with Owner and Head Coach Yang In-sung

By Jana Milosavljevic

We all know working out and doing sports is good for our health. We also all know that taking up a sport or starting any kind of workout is not easy, especially when we are new to it and do not know a lot about it. As someone who was trying out various sports and has always enjoyed very dynamic activities and workouts since a young age, I was naturally curious when I heard of a training regimen called CrossFit. However, at the same time, I always felt like there was a certain mystery surrounding it, and maybe even a sense of fear when people spoke of it, implying one must be good at every sport to take it up. Nevertheless, there came a day when curiosity outweighed all the worries in my mind, so I literally just walked straight through the doors of the CrossFit box nearest my house. (Note: CrossFit centers are not called gyms but “boxes.” They literally resemble a box made of cement walls that contain bars, weights, and ropes.) Worrying that I might chicken out, I straight signed up for a one-month membership without even trying one single time to see if I could actually do it.

It turned out, even though my body was constantly aching throughout the first week (I did not give up and went every single day!), I fell in love with how dynamic and various the CrossFit workouts were – there was never a dull moment. Following the recent article about Korea gyms in the May issue of Gwangju News and a brief introduction to CrossFit some six years ago in Gwangju News issue no. 167, I hoped to unveil some CrossFit mysteries and share more information with anyone who might still be wondering what CrossFit is and whether it is something for them. Mr. Yang In-sung, the owner and head coach of YongBong Training Center where I began my CrossFit adventure, was so kind to agree to talk to me about CrossFit in general, CrossFit in Korea, and CrossFit in Gwangju.

Lunge with plate.

Gwangju News (GN): Thank you for taking the time for this interview. To begin with, could you please briefly introduce yourself?

Yang In-sung: Hello, I am Yang In-sung. I have been the owner and head coach of YongBong Training Center since 2015.

GN:As far as I know, CrossFit does not have a long history in Korea. Could you explain in short what CrossFit is and how you yourself were introduced to it?

Yang In-sung:CrossFit consists of constantly varied exercises – high intensity and functional movement. I first came across CrossFit in 2013 while in Vancouver, Canada. At that time, I stayed in Vancouver for six months studying English. I wanted to meet a lot of native speakers and improve my English, but at the same time, I was also looking for some dynamic exercise. That was when I found CrossFit and joined a CrossFit box named Studeo55 CrossFit. To my knowledge, CrossFit gained popularity in Korea less than 15 years ago. Finally, in 2014, the first CrossFit box was opened in Gwangju, and I started working as a coach there. After that, I was doing CrossFit every day and making new friends. Around that time, videos of CrossFit athletes’ lifestyles and exercise routines became widely available through YouTube, and I was completely mesmerized.

Gymnastic + Lifting called Metcon.

GN:Now, could you introduce CrossFit at your YongBong Training Center to our readers? What do you think is unique about CrossFit at YongBong Training Center that one cannot find at another gym?

Yang In-sung: YongBong Training Center opened in November 2015. I think we are one of the oldest CrossFit boxes in Gwangju. Some people comment that we do not do the traditional CrossFit style of WOD (“Workout of the Day”), and I agree with that. What I try to pursue is to make weightlifting fun and a long-term habit – a lifestyle for people to work out for their health, to lose weight, and to gain power and stamina. Now, there are more than 15 boxes in Gwangju, and we are the first CrossFit box in Buk-gu.

GN:Would you talk a bit about the people of YongBong Training Center – who are the members that usually join the gym, and what are their goals?

Yang In-sung: The members of YongBong Training Center vary from students to office workers, from those in their 20s to those in their 50s. Many members first start working out with a specific goal in mind, such as that of diet and weight loss. Also, since CrossFit puts a lot of emphasis on physical strength, among our members, there are many of those who are preparing for examinations to become police officers or firefighters.

Rowing machine

GN:That is impressive, indeed. Having in mind the versatility of your clientele, how do you plan the workouts?

Yang In-sung:First, I try to include as much weightlifting as often as possible. This is because weightlifting, which is the basis of weight training, is a necessary basis for being able to do a wide variety of other exercises. However, no matter what, what I consider most is making sure that members are free from injury.

GN:What, in your opinion, are the benefits of CrossFit, and what are your three favorite exercises?

Yang In-sung:I think the benefit of CrossFit is that we can develop strength and improve cardio ability at the same time. We train with Olympic-style weightlifting, gymnastics, and also cardio exercises, and we call it “metcon” (metabolic conditioning). So, we lift like powerlifters, we run, and we row – you could say it is something similar to a triathlon. When it comes to my favorite exercises, I would say those are “snatch” (Olympic-style weightlifting), pull-ups (gymnastics), and the rowing machine (cardio).

Deadlift

GN:What is your personal motivation for your own exercise and for continuously running the box?

Yang In-sung: Actually, there is nothing in particular. I am just happy that our members get energy from joining the box and creating healthy habits. So, you could say my motivation comes from the members. Even when there are days when I do not feel like working out, when I see our members working out diligently, I regain my motivation and work out with them, and based on that, create the workout programs. It seems that I and the box members gain motivation from each other. Furthermore, Olympic-style weightlifting is not a really popular sport in Korea. I hope the members become more interested in weightlifting as they learn about it, and I wish that we all can participate in amateur competitions together. Finally, I would be the happiest if this ‘training spirit’ could be transferred to our members’ children, too, and that I could train them one day, as well. 

GN:How do you see YongBong Training Center five years from now? What are your plans for the future?

Yang In-sung: I just want to maintain the box. Some people might dream of making a second or third box, like starting a franchise, but I just want to stay here as long as possible, do workouts, and sweat with our members. Maybe after five years, we will be doing the same thing.

GN:Finally, what would you like to say to our Gwangju News readers who are still wondering whether they should challenge themselves with CrossFit?

Yang In-sung: What I want to say is start now! Do whatever is good for your health, even if it is not CrossFit. When people think about CrossFit, they just focus on the high intensity aspect of it, so they cannot seem to make the decision to start easily. However, at our box, we adjust the type of movements or the number of reps to be suitable for beginners, so everyone can do it, from youngsters to elders. Finally, every box has a different workout style, so I would recommend to always do something like a one-day trial before signing up for a membership.

Instagram: @team__yb

Naver Cafe: https://cafe.naver.com/cfyb

Address: 1409-3 Yongbong-dong, Buk-gu, Gwangju

The Interviewer

의류이(가) 표시된 사진

자동 생성된 설명

Jana Milosavljevic was born and raised in Serbia. She currently lives and works in Gwangju as a GIC coordinator. She loves exploring new places, learning about new cultures, and meeting new people. If you are up for a chat, she can talk to you in Serbian, English, Korean, Japanese, or German.