Getting a Korean Driver’s License

Written by Karina Prananto

Deciding to get a driver’s license in Korea is probably one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only does it give me more chances to travel around the country, it also boosts my confidence and allows me to make quick decisions. Here I will share with you my experience of getting a Korean driver’s license so that maybe you can also enjoy these driving pleasures. Please note that this information is based on my experience in getting a regular, class-2 license. Some procedures may vary depending on the type of license you are applying for.

First, you must register at a driving academy (운전학원). There are tons of driving academies in Gwangju to choose from, and you can always read the online reviews or have one recommended to you by a friend. After registering, you will need to schedule your lessons and exams. In Korea, it is possible to have everything done in as little as one week! You will also need to submit the results of your health check before taking lessons at the driving academy. Health checks can be done at most hospitals.

In-Class Lesson and Written Exam
After registering, you will take a lesson on Korean road and traffic regulations at the academy for about three hours. Later on, (usually on the same day) you will be taken to the Road Transport Authority office in Buk-gu, where you will take the written exam. The exam is computerized and can be done in several languages. You pass if you get at least 60 points out of 100, and you will receive the results on the same day. Once you have passed, you can proceed to the next step.

Practice Exam 1 (Inside the Academy)
Next, you will practice how to operate a car provided by the academy. Almost all Korean driving academies have their own practice courses. There will be a car for each student and a teacher who will teach the very basics on how to operate the car. This will take about four hours. Once done, you will have a test on the subject matter. For this, you will be by yourself in the car. A voice from the computer will tell you what to do. Sorry, Korean is the only language option.

In this exam, you begin with 100 points. Points are deducted if you fail to do what the computer instructs you to do. Eighty points are required to pass the exam.

Instructions come in the following four parts:
• How to turn on the engine
• How to change gears and use parking brake
• How to operate the headlights and turn signals
• How to react in an emergency by applying the brakes and using emergency lights

You pass if you can finish the entire process in five minutes. Once done, you will be informed whether you may move on to the next lesson or whether you must retake the test. You can take this exam even if you have failed the written test, but you still need to pass both in order to go to the next level.

Practice Exam 2 (Road Test)
Once you have learned how to operate your car, you will need to complete six hours of driving practice on the road. Your teacher will take you through certain routes that later may be the route you will take for your road exam. The route is usually about five kilometers away from the academy. After the practice run ends, you will schedule your road exam. You will need to get a minimum of 70 points on the road exam to pass the test and receive a license.

A car that has been specially assigned for the exam will be used. Usually you will need to take the test with another test-taker. One of you will take the test first, and after switching places, the other will take the test driving back to the starting point. An examiner with a tablet computer will accompany you, and before the test begins, he/she will explain once more how the exam will proceed.

The course (which you will have previously practiced on) will be selected at random. The test will begin once you start the car engine (take note that it is possible that you may immediately be disqualified if you fail to start the engine on three tries or if you fail to fasten your seatbelt). There will only be voice instructions from this point on, so you must rely on either your memory or your ability to listen to the instructions in Korean (instructions are not available in any other language)!

The exam ends when you return to the academy and take the parking test. Points will be deducted if you make mistakes. Once done, you will be shown your test result and your examiner will announce whether you have passed or failed. The examiner will not tell you which part(s) you failed, which is the trickiest part; you will only know how many points you scored. If you do not pass, sorry. But do not fret, you will be able to reapply for the road exam again as long as your one-year practice license remains valid. If you pass, congratulations! The academy will then ask whether you want to pick up your newly acquired license at the academy or have it sent to your home. So, are you ready? It is time to hit the road!

The Author
Karina is from Indonesia and has been involved with the Gwangju News for eleven years. Driving has been her secret passion since she was 17 but was only satisfied by playing racing games on PlayStation. She first learned to drive in Korea, and has driven over 32,000 kilometers since getting her license in 2016.

Leave a Reply