Seven Reasons to Choose Gwangju for Your Academic Career

Written and photographed by Baha Komilov.

Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.  — Malcom X

It is very important to select a comfortable place for education and living in everyone’s life. It is very personal and the options are endless, indeed. For certain people, the cost is the most significant factor, while others favor high-quality education before applying to any college. Statistics show that students choose a city or place based on its location, safety, job opportunities, and ranking. As a satisfied international student living in Gwangju, I have decided to share seven reasons why Gwangju should be the destination for your study abroad program.

1. Affordability

It is a fact that Seoul is more popular for international students to study in, but the cost of living and tuition fees are not going to make you happy. Seoul-level tuition fees might be cheaper for North American students compared to their home country, but Gwangju is definitely the right choice when it comes to cost. I have lived in both Gwangju and Seoul, but Gwangju is still the smarter choice for me. The cost of housing is the equivalent of US $200–400 per month (including bills), and tuition fees are $3,000–$6,000 per year (depending on the program) for both undergraduate and graduate programs.

2. The Korean Lifestyle

Gwangju is the sixth largest city in Korea. While it is not as big as Seoul or Busan, at the same time, it is not a small city either. Bigger cities have developed so fast that you will not get a chance to see the real Korea as it is on TV. Compared to other city people, Gwangju residents are less Western, and they are eager to talk with people who come from other countries. Living in a big city definitely will cost much for transportation but not here, wherever you go in the city, the taxi ride is around $10 or less, and you can use all types of transportation: subway, train, KTX, and airplane in the city. The city is full of fashion streets, shopping centers, and unique Korean cafes that you expect to find in Korea.

3. Authentic Korean Food

After four years of living in Gwangju, I have realized that Gwangju has the best and most authentic cuisine in all of Korea. Gwangju is particularly renowned for its kimchi, which is the most well-known food among foreigners, so international students are welcome to visit Gwangju’s very own Kimchi Town. In addition, Gwangju is well known for its numerous side dishes, which often number 7–12 at many restaurants.

4. Cradle of the Arts

If you are majoring in art or just like art-related subjects, you are in the right place. Asia’s largest culture complex is located in Gwangju. At the Asia Culture Center, you can see the latest art exhibitions and musical performances. Another big art center is the Gwangju Biennale – a home for contemporary art. There you are able to experience both Korean and global contemporary art. In addition, Gwangju offers museums, temples, traditional Korean houses, and street art in each corner of the city that is sure to attract you.

5. Language

It is a fact that most people go abroad to learn a new language or improve current ones. If you have this goal, Gwangju is the best choice. I came here with zero Korean language abilities, and I am already fluent, without doing any book study since my arrival. This is because, if you are off campus, not everyone speaks or understands English. Furthermore, there are plenty of opportunities for you to improve your language skills by just hanging out with locals. In bigger cities, people have better English skills and may interact much more in English, so much so that you may never learn Korean. Also, the Gwangju accent is close enough to that of Seoul that you will not have any problem understanding each other.

6. Korean Democracy

Gwangju is often considered the birthplace of Korean democracy owing to the May 18 Democratic Uprising, which occurred in 1980. It was a mass movement against South Korea’s then authoritarian military government. Today, it endures as a strong part of the city’s identity. If you are a political science or international studies major, it might be a great choice to study and do research here related to your major.

7. Home Away from Home

Last but not the least, despite all the above, there is still one thing that disturbs anyone who lives far from home: homesickness. Honestly, since I arrived, the city has been quite amazing, thanks to all the kind people, the foreigner-friendly environment, and the community support. As the city is not huge, almost all foreigners know each other and interact with each other very actively. There are places of worship for people of all beliefs, foreign restaurants for people of all palates, and gatherings of all sorts that make you feel at home. Moreover, there are so many social activities to get involved in to meet awesome people with different backgrounds.

The Author

Baha is originally from Uzbekistan, but he considers himself a global citizen. He is currently a student at Chonnam National University and an Honorary Reporter for Korea.net (South Korea’s official web portal). He has been in Gwangju for almost four years and is about to graduate from his school. Traveling is his middle name, and he travels around Korea almost every weekend.

Leave a Reply