Tips from an Ex-Expat

Written by Meg Coast.

As I sit in Incheon Airport savoring my last few spoonfuls of bibimbap (비빔밥), I flash back half a decade or so to my first fumbling steps into a once unfamiliar land. This same land, while still a bit of an unknown in the West (cue the predictable question: “Do you live in the North or the South?”), now feels more like home than any other place in the world and, in spite of its small geographic size, will always occupy a big space in my heart.

I only planned to stay in Korea for a year, but in fact, ended up remaining for five. In this period of time, I have done a lot of things, met some of the best people I know, and learned a thing or two about life abroad. While I still consider my time in Korea one of the best decisions I have ever made, the power of hindsight is everything, and if you were to ask me if I would do anything differently if I could do it again, I would say, “Absolutely!”
Whether you are just here “for a year” or planning to stay longer, there are a few tried and tested ways to make sure that your time is put to good use.

Get out and meet people. – Find friends who are just as weird as you are.

Get Out and Meet People
It may happen the moment you step off the plane; it may be months down the line. If you are really lucky, you may never experience it, but at some point, many of us will suffer the pangs of homesickness and loneliness. While it is awfully tempting to mope around your apartment checking Skyscanner for flights home, it is better to nip this issue in the bud. Be brave and fling yourself out on the town at the earliest opportunity because it only gets scarier with time. Initially, you might find yourself in social scenes that are not quite your thing, but once you get out there, you will find your niche and meet people who may end up being your friends for life. I met my BFFL on a trip through a nude forest, which is proof that you can meet people in the most bizarre of circumstances – but only if you are there in the first place.

Get a Hobby
Whether you start up a new hobby or bring one with you, having your own “thing” can give you a sense of purpose, achievement, and a sense of belonging in your new home. I decided that, given my intense fear of heights, it would make perfect sense to try out rock climbing. Aside from the frequent fear of plummeting to my imminent death, I made a bunch of new friends with whom I spent unforgettable weekends climbing and camping in the great outdoors. I got into the best shape of my life, picked up a new skill, and most importantly, felt like I was part of a family. My only regret is that I did not start earlier. So do not make the same mistake: Try something out, because it might just be the best decision you make.

Travel
Traveling around Korea is something you just cannot afford to skip. The ROK is a breathtakingly beautiful and diverse country, and its small size and extremely efficient, affordable transport make it easy to explore. Break beyond the bustling city walls and roam rice paddies, meander up mountains, venture down valleys, and bask on the beaches. Whatever you do and wherever you go, get out and see a bit of Korea, ’cos she is a beauty.

Learn Korean
My journey towards learning Korean got off to a somewhat late start. In my first few years, I told myself I was “too [insert excuse] to learn,” deferring to more linguistically blessed friends and scattered phrases I had picked up. When I finally pulled my finger out and signed up for language classes, it was a game-changer – not because I suddenly became fluent overnight, but because a functional grasp of Korean makes life so much easier. You will also find that a little language ability goes a long way with the locals – expect more smiles from your neighborhood ajummas (아줌마), and maybe discounts too!

Fall in Love with Korean Food
While I can hardly say that my first experience with Korean food was love at first bite, I am quite willing to admit when I am wrong – and how very wrong I was. Though there are still dishes that I have not and will never get along with – looking at you beondegi (번데기, silkworm pupa), Korean cuisine is up there at the top of my foodie list, and with good reason. Healthy, fresh, fast, and mouth-wateringly moreish, there is more to Korean food than kimbap – which was, tragically, a staple diet for me in my first year. My advice: Push your culinary boundaries, try everything at least once, and do not judge a Kimbap Nara (김밥나라) by its cover; some of the absolute best places to eat are little more than a hole in the wall – keep your eyes peeled and follow your nose!

Save $$$
Yes, it is boring, but it is a piece of advice you will hear over and over again for a reason. Whether your plans are to return home and find a job, pursue further education, pay off debts, travel, etc., you will almost certainly need a decent amount of dosh to back up your schemes. Most of us drastically underestimate how much we need, and end up regretting that fourth cocktail at the bar every Saturday or the daily Starbucks we do not really need – wishing instead that we had been a little more disciplined and stashed the cash away.

If you can, send half your wage home as soon as it hits your account. You will find you still have more than enough to enjoy your time in Korea, while having a nice little pile of pennies to ensure smooth sailing in your next endeavors.

Make the Most of It
Savor your time in Korea. It is a unique period in your life that you will look back on fondly in future years. Even if you have grander plans, make sure you take the time to appreciate life abroad while you are living it rather than just seeing it as a stepping stone. By all means, have a plan, but be open to the possibility of it changing. Making my home here in Korea and falling in love with the country was certainly not on my agenda, but in the words of Anatole France, “If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads.”
Photographed by Ben Robins

The Author
Meg Coast was a proud member of the Gwangju community for five-ish fantastic years. She recently left Korea to embark on adventures new and is currently traveling in Southeast Asia before returning home to the UK, where she fervently hopes she can still eat kimchi!

Leave a Reply