Trust the Process

By Yousra Feriel Drioua

Have you ever thought it was too late? That you have become too old to do something different for yourself? Or that your pace has declined compared to the outer world’s, and so trying anything new would be too risky? Well, if you have experienced this type of emotion, here is a familiar story that just might be the kick to get you off your seat or, at the least, be of some comfort.

My name is Yousra Feriel Drioua, and I am choosing to re-draw my path at 22 years old. I arrived in Korea last August and am currently enrolled at Chonnam National University as a Korean language scholar under the KGSP-G scholarship program (Korean Government Scholarship Program: Graduate). Before enrolling, I had spent the previous five years of my life studying science. To be fair, it was something I sincerely enjoyed. But, here is the thing: I enjoyed only studying science. It was not until I got a bachelor’s degree in biology and signed up for a master’s in toxicology that a realization hit me. While interning in a lab and watching the people around me, I discovered that this was not what I wished to do in the future. I could not fathom another place that could dull down my spirit and chip away at my happiness for the rest of my life more than that lab. I had already let go of a dream at the age of 13 due to lack of support and financial issues (which my current self considers as excuses). The latter experience is why I crave no more regrets in my life as I go on.

So, when applying for this scholarship, I chose the highest risk possible by using the one opportunity I had in front of me. The application period for the graduate scholarship usually starts in February. I remember that moment vividly. I sat down in front of my computer and asked myself, “What is the major that fits me best – the one that will still have my heart beating no matter how long I do it?” I sincerely believed that I would rather get rejected again trying to pursue a different path than be accepted into a major that would continue to suck out my soul. I first applied to the GKS (Global Korea Scholarship) in 2019; it was my first time ever applying, and I could not tell my head from my toes! Therefore, I was rejected. In 2020, I was so eager to apply again that I missed the deadline. After managing to not tear my hair out, I decided to give South Korea one last shot in 2021. I already had my college degree, so the only risk I was betting on was honestly time. Even at 22, I felt too old to pursue something new, but I knew it was now or never.

I will spare you the application details and personal struggles, but in case you are interested, feel free to check out the studyinkorea.go.kr website and your country’s Korean embassy for more information. For more personal questions, just send me an email at yousra.f.dria@gmail.com! However, if I were to share some tips about applying for this scholarship, they would be (a) do not underestimate your extracurricular activities, (b) if your grades are not great, focus on polishing your personal statement, especially the starting line, (c) choose your universities carefully, and (d) do not be afraid to choose a different major. Trust yourself, your abilities, your newfound passion, and mostly trust the process. No matter how long you have spent on a career or academic path, it is not worth continuing if it does not spark any joy in your soul. It is okay if you are still not 100 percent convinced with your new choice. However, accepting a new challenge is much more thrilling and motivating than sticking to one’s comfort zone, no matter how comfortable it may be.

studyinkorea.com website

Now, let us speak of Korea – the country I craved for so long to visit and study in with such high hopes. Just as I was about to give up on it after the aforementioned ill-fated encounters, Korea finally called my name. When I first arrived, the most appropriate word to describe how I felt would be natseolda (낯설다, unfamiliar). Korea was almost everything I had expected it to be, but there was just something about how insular everyone was. Back where I am from in Algeria, we smile at strangers, greet people everywhere and anywhere we go, and are nosier about each other’s business (for lack of a better expression). Yet with time, I was adjusting to it little by little while making new friends, joining a university club, participating in local events such as GIC Day, and traveling to other cities. I was creating memories all over this country and, most importantly, sharing bits of my culture and learning other cultures simultaneously.

What I sincerely love about Korea is the diverse opportunities it offers. No matter what your background is, if you search hard enough, you will almost surely find whatever it is you are seeking. I am personally on the look-out for major-related experiences and knowledge before starting my new adventure this coming September. However, my biggest concern at the moment, as with any other GKS scholar, is the TOPIK exam. This is because GKS scholars are required to attain at least a TOPIK Level 3 during their language training if they wish to continue to their chosen universities.

To be honest, I have no idea how my next two years in Korea will turn out, especially concerning how or if I will even manage to survive studying a completely new major in graduate school entirely in Korean. What matters now is that I have left no regrets behind for my future or younger self by making that choice. Whatever will come and whatever happens, I will handle it at the given time. I have handled everything life threw at me before through my trust in God, resilience, passion for new things, BTS songs, and buckets of tears! In short, I will trust the process.

The Author

Yousra Feriel Drioua is an Algerian citizen and a new EXPAT. She’s left behind a five-year major to seek a new adventure as a 2022 GKS Scholar in Korea. She enjoys discussing various topics with people, learning new things, and gaining different life experiences. Her goal is to leave no regrets behind. Instagram @myyilgi