Hello Korea: Interview with Kayla Nicholls

In continuing its collaboration with the Gwangju Foreign Language Network (GFN), in this issue the Gwangju News offers an interview with Kayla Nicholls, the host of Hello Korea, the radio show that brings you “Korean history, culture, food, music, people, movies, and more from past to present!” — Ed.

Gwangju News (GN): Thank you for taking the time to do this interview for the Gwangju News, Mrs. Nicholls. First, please introduce yourself; tell us a little about your background and about your career at the radio station.
Kayla Nicholls: Thank you for thinking of me. But let’s get this out of the way first: I just go by “Kayla.” “Mrs. Nicholls” was my grandmother, and even my mother. And although I never changed my last name once I got married, it was more to do with the amazing amounts of time, energy, and paperwork involved in doing so. So, I go by “Kayla Nicholls,” no “Mrs.” added. As for me, I’m a Canadian expat, living, working, and raising a family in Korea. How I got here is rather a bit of luck. I was going to be an au pair in France, but the girl I was going to go with could no longer go, so I took a job as an usher at the POW Theatre for the show The Lord of the Rings. When the run went dark, someone suggested teaching English as a way to travel and earn at the same time. I was interested and ready to spend a year in Japan. I had everything lined up till my recruiter asked if I’d be willing to try South Korea. I thought, “Well, why not!” Same geographical part of the world, right? Three weeks later, I found myself in Incheon with severe culture shock and an inability to eat most of the food here due to spiciness. I promised myself to stick it out a year, and then I found GFN on the radio, and… here I am, close to 14 years later, still here.

GN: Please tell us about Hello Korea and your duties as the host of the show.
Kayla: So, Hello Korea is a radio show that plays Monday through Friday, at 10:05–11:45 a.m. However, in light of global situations, and how things have been playing out here in Korea, our show’s been temporarily shortened to give live updates to the public so that people can get the information they need, when they need it. But the primary focus of Hello Korea is to educate, entertain, and explore the cultural side of life in Korea, for both Koreans and expats who call Korea home. We have information about customs, food, jazz, Goryeoin people, movies, Korean authors, sports in Korean history, different perspectives on Korean life and culture from foreign nationals, and of course, a little bit of K-pop as well. As the host, it’s my job to make our guests feel comfortable in sharing and opening up about the things we really want to know. I feel like it’s a conversation I’m having with friends, and the audience is our friend. There’s so much that people might find interesting or wonder why we need to know about this. It’s my job to keep them interested, on topic, and to make our audience feel like they’re a part of the conversation.

GN: Before Hello Korea, did you do other shows at GFN? If so, please tell us about them and explain how they helped prepare you for your current position.
Kayla: Before I joined the Hello Korea team, I was the host of Weekly Review/Sunday Talk for about three years. Being the host of that program taught me how to talk with people of many different walks of life and how to really listen. It also taught me that being on the radio wasn’t as easy as just speaking into a microphone. Before that show, I did a segment for the City of Light program with Michael Simning. The name of the segment was Living Tips. I learned so much more than I ever wanted to about ways you can use lemons. But it was also what first interested me in being a host. Michael made it look so easy. But perhaps, that’s just the kind of guy he was. My very first time on GFN was being interviewed by Michael about being pregnant and part of a multicultural family living in Korea.

GN: Hello Korea has a strong cultural focus. What personally draws you to being involved with this sort of programming?
Kayla: I think the people who make their homes in other countries do so for a variety of reasons: work, family, adventure, opportunity. But what keeps a person in a place is what makes them feel connected to that place. And for the most part, I feel that’s family and people. Cultural identity is a part of every place. Your connection to the culture of the place you call home can make your life positive and feel possible, or negative and feel alienating. When things seem so different from what you’re used to, it feels off-putting. It feels wrong. It makes you feel like you don’t belong. But understanding more about a culture, and how it’s not actually so different from what you know, can really make you feel as if you’ve found a place where you can thrive. For me, helping others understand Korean nuances makes me feel like I’m helping to show them the beauty that might be unique to Korea, or a shared connection.

GN: K-pop, technology, and fashion always get a lot of attention, but what are some underappreciated cultural aspects of Korea?
Kayla: I personally think that traditional Korean music is underappreciated. I get the appeal of K-pop, I do. I’m a K-pop fan myself. But there’s something so very beautiful about traditional music, gugak, that just tells such a story. When I first heard pansori, I’ll be honest, it was confusing, long, and a bit hard to listen to. I learned to appreciate it. But the first time I heard the gayageum, I fell in love with it. It’s beautiful and versatile. The fusion of traditional instruments with modern music, including K-pop, is interesting.

And you can’t forget the food. The history of food in Korea is fascinating. For example, many festivals where people eat certain foods may seem weird or frivolous to us now, such as eating nuts in the middle of winter – and the more nuts you eat, the longer you’d be predicted to live – but they make sense once you understand the history and culture of the people. Nuts are high in essential nutrients and fats, which kids, especially without access to healthy and nutritious meals in winter, needed to survive the harsh winters of Korea in the past. Making traditions like this both fun and educational would encourage them. Plus, I mean, the side dishes in Korea are amazing. There are so many different kinds; you can have an entire healthy and delicious meal just with side dishes. Also, I like bowing as a greeting and sign of respect, especially during this time of social distancing. I was never much for shaking hands to begin with.

GN: What is your favorite part in working at GFN?
Kayla: That’s got to be the people. The job is fun. I love being on the radio, but it’s the people you meet, the stories you listen to, and the things you can learn from them, hands down. It’s always the people who can make or break my working experience.

GN: Hello Korea has a really cool “exchange program” with a sister station in Busan. What is this all about? Tell us about your counterparts in Busan!
Kayla: This is our Hello Gwangju, Hello Busan program. It airs on Saturdays in Gwangju from 10:00 a.m. until noon. It provides information to our listeners about cultural experiences in Gwangju, places to go and see, things to do in Jeollanam-do, and specifically about three venues in Gwangju, the ACC, the GIC and the Kim Daejung Convention Center. These three places have continuous events, conferences, talks, classes, exhibitions, and so much more happening almost every day. Our sister station in Busan has similar content, but centered around Busan. Our show plays there and their show plays here so that we can learn about the two cities and develop more ties and tourism.

GN: When people listen to Hello Korea, what feeling would you like to leave them with?
Kayla: I’d like it if they felt like they were talking with friends, or even listening to their friends having a conversation. I’d love it if they’d get involved and join our discussions, add their opinions, and send us messages. It’s a bonus if they learned something they didn’t know before. But at the very least, I hope everyone might enjoy their time with us and look forward to sharing their morning with us. We really do love to hear from our listeners!

GN: Thank you, Kayla, for sharing your experiences with us. If our readers haven’t done so already, I hope they switch to Hello Korea to explore the cultural side of Korea.

Interviewed by Melline Galani.