Top of The Drop

By Daniel J. Springer

For all who love music, especially new releases, keep ahead of the curve with Top of The Drop. Each month Daniel “Danno” Springer picks his favorite newly released tunes and gives a heads-up on upcoming albums and EPs for you to keep on your radar. — Ed.

Little Simz (feat. Obongjayar) – “Point and Kill”
The London rapper’s fourth studio album Sometimes I Might Be Introvert dropped early in the month, and the hefty anticipation was worth the wait. On an album where the rapper is wrestling with the juxtaposition of her needs for privacy and the public persona she must constantly put out there to even exist as a musician and recognized personality in this world, Simz raises poignant questions and has very relatable observations in this world of social media madness about the need for validation and balance.

Halsey – “I Am Not a Woman, I’m a God”
Another fourth career album by a UK-based star more on the pop level to date has been If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power. Co-produced by Halsey along with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, this record is definitely more pop than anything else, but it does have its jagged edges to that cut, with this being a prime example.

Jordan Rakei – “Unguarded”
Born in New Zealand, raised in Australia, and now based in London, the artist’s latest in What We Call Life is based around many of the lessons Rakei learned about himself while in therapy, and a reflection on family itself. The therapeutic process began after he started reading about positive psychology, and led him to reflecting on the meaning of family on this LP, his fourth album since relocating to London half a world away from his family.

Turnstile – “Mystery”
In what might possibly be the best rock album of the year thus far, it might be a stretch to even portray Turnstile’s Glow On in such monolithic terms. While the rock motif is undoubtedly the dominant strain on the band’s third LP, the multi-genre approach and mixtape format leaves one with a distinctly different aftertaste versus previous outings.

Sault – “London Gangs”
The mystery continues surrounding this band of guerilla leftists attacking music’s core from their safehouse in London along with their label Forever Living Originals. While it seems rather obvious that the lead singer is the glorious Cleo Sol, all we have to go off otherwise is the music. Thankfully, there has been plenty of that, and the band’s fifth studio album in the last three calendar years called Nine dropped in late June. It’s only available online for 90 days and then it’s gone. Poof!

Kamasi Washington – “My Friend of Misery”
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Metallica’s release of its self-titled Black Album in 1991, the band signed up every who’s who in the game for an epic cover compilation entitled Blacklist, which dropped September 10. Literally everyone is on this record, but who’d have thought that a jazz cover of Metallica would be the most bad-ass joint on the thing? Absolutely smashing stuff.

Amyl and The Sniffers – “Maggot”
This band out of Australia has been making a mark since their introduction to the world in 2016, but has been white hot since their 2019 debut self-titled LP. Enter this year’s Comfort to Me, and you have a female-led quartet that is turning into one of the most smashing rock acts around here in 2021. Extra points for the working-class Aussie accent, it must be noted.

Griffith James – “Any Day”
The artist on this debut LP is based on the West Coast and grew up with a religious family, which actually led him to living in Korea during his younger years in the 1980s and 1990s. For a debut record, Comfortably High is really a well-produced and emotive piece, which reflects the fantastic work done on the mic and production by the Denver-based indie darlings Tennis.

j ember – “Say Goodbye”
For those that are looking for a nostalgic but altogether modern vibe in their new audio experiences, Full Size Render is a quality find. The New Jersey-born now Brooklyn-based artist gives off this pared back but gorgeously arranged meld of influences that he wears on his sleeve between older acts like Oasis and new bosses like Phoebe Bridgers.

LOCAL SPOTLIGHT

Kamen Ross – “Yellow Roses”
The former Gwangju resident now based in Jeju is out with his solo debut, I Dreamt We Fell in Love, which dropped on September 9 in full. Here the multi-instrumentalist is showing an impressive array of skills on the piano that at times sounds like he’s literally bashing notes out of it during manic crescendos that highlight the compositions between sparkling bright moments and pregnant pauses. Look out for him featuring on the keys with other artists around the peninsula and beyond in the coming months.

Walking After U – “Ariel”
Prior to the shutdown of Speakeasy, this femme power quartet was a favorite to check out plying their trade. While they have always been a killer band live, it seemed like that never translated to the studio very well. Until now. True to the title, the Are We Ready? LP has a subtler and more mature touch that the band’s previous records lacked.

August Releases

Little Simz – Sometimes I Might Be Introvert (September 3)
LANY – gg bb xx (September 3)
Manic Street Preachers – The Ultra Vivid Lament (September 3)
Amyl and the Sniffers – Comfort to Me (September 10)
James Blake – Friends That Break Your Heart (September 10)
Park Hye Jin – Before I Die (September 10)
The Vaccines – Back in Love City (September 10)
Jose Gonzalez – Local Valley (September 17)
Brittany Howard – Jaime Reimagined (September 24)
Poppy – Flux (September 24)
Broken Baby – Late Stage Optimism (September 24)

Watch Out for These

Hovvdy – True Love (October 1)
Pond – 9 (October 1)
Lala Lala – I Want the Door to Open (October 8)
Finneas – Optimist (October 15)
Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes – Sticky (October 15)
Bedouine – Waysides (October 15)
Parquet Courts – Sympathy for Life (October 22)
Duran Duran – Future Past (October 22)
Hand Habits – Fun House (October 22)
Helado Negro – Far In (October 22)
Lana Del Rey – Blue Bannisters (October 22)
My Morning Jacket – s/t (October 22)
The War on Drugs – I Don’t Live Here Anymore (October 29)

The Author
Daniel J. Springer (aka “Danno”) is the creator, host, writer, editor, and producer of “The Drop with Danno,” broadcasting nightly on GFN 98.7 FM in Gwangju and 93.7 FM in Yeosu from 8–10 p.m. Prior to this, he was a contributor to several shows on TBS eFM in Seoul, along with being the creator and co-host of “Spacious” and “White Label Radio” on WNUR in Chicago. You can find “The Damyang Drop,” his monthly collaborative playlist with The Damyang House, on YouTube and Spotify.
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter: @gfnthedrop
Show RSS Feed: https://feeds.transistor.fm/the-drop-with-danno