Working on the Radio as an International Student in Korea 

By Shara Perez 

In late July 2023, I received exciting news from a friend who informed me about her upcoming radio program in August. The producers of the show were in search of two additional guests to join the hosts throughout the season. Seeing this as an invaluable opportunity, I eagerly prepared necessary documents and obtained permissions from my university and the immigration office. Subsequently, I commenced my role at GFN (Gwangju Foreign Language Network) as part of the program named K-Pop Fiesta. 

K-Pop Fiesta airs from Monday to Friday between 12 and 2 p.m. While the program runs daily, I participate as a guest twice a week, ensuring that there is no interfering with my university schedule. As implied by its title, the focus of the show revolves around K-pop, encompassing not only music itself but also current news related with idols and popular dramas.  

In our dynamic radio program, K-Pop Fiesta, we embrace the rich blend of languages and cultures that define the global appeal of K-pop. The show seamlessly weaves together both Korean and English, reflecting the diverse backgrounds of our hosts and audience. This linguistic fusion adds a unique flavor to our conversations, allowing us to connect with listeners from various parts of the world. 

I must confess that during my initial week, I experienced a mix of nervousness and confusion. Stepping into the radio world for the first time, everything appeared daunting. To prepare, I studied the provided script, incorporating additional information, suggesting relevant songs, and practicing my delivery. Perfecting my voice was an important thing for me; emulating the tone and mannerisms of the host, Dave, became my goal. 

On our live broadcasts, we engage with messages from our listeners, with prompts displayed on screen by the production team. These prompts guide us, indicating when to discuss specific topics or introduce the next song. While occasional chaos ensues, particularly when I make a mistake, the audience graciously alerts me to my errors, giving us an opportunity to address the slip-up, adding humor into the situation. This also has to be one of my favorite parts of the journey. Not just the correction of my mistakes bur their enthusiastic responses, song requests, and heartfelt messages remind me of the impact our show has on people’s lives. It is incredibly fulfilling to know that the hours of preparation and on-air dedication translate into a source of joy for someone.  

In instances where pre-recorded episodes are necessary, a different dynamic unfolds. Although the advantage lies in the ability to rectify mistakes effortlessly, there is an occasional lapse in remembering the release schedule, leading us to remind ourselves of the pre-recorded nature of the program. 

Also, contrary to common belief, the show’s hosts do not generate weekly topics. A designated writer and program director (PD) prepares the themes, news segments, songs, and quizzes. While we follow the script as a general guide, the majority of our conversations and content are improvised, with the script serving as a framework for the opening, ending, and quizzes. 

Nearly two months into this program, I can confidently assert that this experience has significantly improved my speech and communication skills. In the radio realm, voice takes precedence; because of the lack of visual cues, I rely solely on my speaking abilities to captivate the audience. As I said, I strive to emulate the professionalism of Dave that moves as fast as lightning whenever online information is needed during a live show while keeping his “radio voice” without problems, yet acknowledge that I am still on a journey toward mastering this art. 

Embracing the challenges of live radio, I find myself continually adapting and growing. Each episode provides a unique learning experience, teaching me to think on my feet and respond promptly to unexpected situations. The synergy between the hosts, including myself, has evolved into a seamless collaboration where our personalities complement each other, creating an engaging atmosphere for our listeners. 

I really enjoy my position at GFN; the atmosphere is always fun, and I want to believe that the two hosts and I get to make an enjoyable program for everyone that is listening. I will remain on the air for many months, so I encourage you to tune in whenever you have the opportunity. 

The Author 

Twenty-two-year-old Shara Perez Sanchez is a driven student from Spain. Upon completing high school, she ventured to Korea, where she is now pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Chinese Language and Literature at Chonnam National University. Shara’s passion extends beyond Chinese; she aspires to translate in various languages, making her journey one of diverse linguistic exploration and global connection.