Sharing Is Caring

By Park Nahm-sheik

“Sharing is caring” seems to make an apt slogan for the Gwangju International Center (GIC). What do you say? It appears to fit the Center’s intercultural activism particularly well. It also happens to neatly line up with the spirit of Noel, which is drawing near. With the holy season almost upon us, it is high time we paid homage to the Christmas message of peace on earth and good will to all. 

All these ideals of Christmas are closely intertwined, each with the other. By the way, we are reminded here of the Biblical message that it is more blessed to give than to receive. The message is validated first and foremost by the passion of Christ being infinitely more blessed than the gift of eternal life us mere mortals are rewarded with in return for faith in the Son of Man.

Going back to the GIC as the epitome of “sharing is caring,” the Center is giving its all for an ever more enhanced intercultural climate in and around Gwangju. Truth to tell, Center Director Shin Gyonggu may very well be dubbed the personification of maximum intercultural service to Gwangju and its vicinities. 

“Sharing is caring” is probably the keystone in the architecture of the precept “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” It may indeed be the beacon-cum-cornerstone for peace on earth and good will all around. Coupled with generosity, charity will transform our surroundings into a paradise on earth. Thus, “sharing is caring” is a fitting call to action for humanitarian volunteers of all stripes.

True to this “reveille,” all charity-rooted projects, those of the GIC included, must always be ready, able, and willing to share their all with whoever is most in need. The noblest thing the haves can do is to selflessly share what they can afford to and even more with the have-nots around them. This sharing should not be limited to material stuff like food, shelter, and clothing. It should also comprise non-material things like empathy, fellowship, companionship, etc.

Needless to say, there is no reason why sharing should be a transient affair. It could and should be turned into a year-round fixture kept alive and well all the while. At this point, should we not all pledge (and rededicate) ourselves to sharing as a road to a global community of brotherhood everywhere?

Just as I was doing pre-Christmas preparations this past December, I was dreaming of a White Christmas and a world of Good Samaritans every Yuletide down the road.  Perhaps I am being a bit naive here, but I do believe this: If you can dream it, you can do it.  Dreams come with the magic of alchemizing impossibles into possibles.

The Author

Nahm-Sheik Park has a BA in English from Chonnam National University, an MA in linguistics from the University of Hawaii, and a PhD in applied linguistics from Georgetown University. He is now a professor emeritus after a long and illustrious career at Seoul National University.