Gongyu Share Center

Written and potographed by Cami Karim
Translated by Kim Seul-gi

Hello, beautiful folks! When the atmosphere all around is so pleasantly warm and friendly that even talk of reuniting the Korean Peninsula is in the air, it is a good time to explore and enjoy the entrancing Korean culture. The Gwangju News recently took the time to interview the head of Gongyu Share Center (공유광주센터), Baek Ji-Eun, to shed some light on the center’s activities.

Gwangju News (GN): First of all, thank you for spending time with us. I am pretty sure our readers will highly appreciate it. To start things off, could you tell us when Gongyu Share Center opened and how it has developed since then?
Baek Ji-Eun (BJE): Gongyu Share Center was opened in July 2015. The center is open seven days a week, except for major holidays such as Chuseok and Seollal. During the last two and a half years, it has rapidly grown into a large, active center that now offers a variety of services.

GN: Have you heard of any other share centers in South Korea?
BJE: Yes, there are three big share centers in the nation. Two of them are located in Seoul and the third is ours. Also, I have heard of a couple of small ones elsewhere.

GN: What kinds of services does your center offer to visitors?
BJE: We offer traditional clothing rentals both for females and males of any size. Also, there is space sharing, camping equipment loans, a range of board games, a sewing room, a little library, and a canteen.

Mrs. Baek Ji-Eun (standing) and her assistant after helping the author to choose a hanbok at the Gongyu Share Center.

GN: That is impressive! Could you familiarize us with the loan process?
BJE: Of course! We offer items on loan for one week. To carry through, one does not have to bring an ID card; there is just a simple form to file that includes the renter’s contact info. All loans are free of charge. In special cases, it is possible to extend the loan period to our visitors.

GN: It seems you really care about visitors’ comfort. I have heard that the center holds events as well. What sort of events do you usually hold?
BJE: Beginning from cultural events, we can hold anything from musical performances, to bracelet crafting, to master cooking classes. Actually, there are a variety of activities, and our main objective is to share joy, create a cheerful atmosphere, and enjoy the event along with our visitors and their families. We usually hold such events every month. Furthermore, we hold five large events per year.

GN: I am looking forward to attending all of them in the future. Do many foreigners visit Gongyu Share Center?
BJE: I think you are the first one. There have not been any foreign visitors yet.

GN: I do believe this cozy place will deservedly become popular among international residents in a short time.
BJE: All of them are welcome to visit Gongyu Share Center! We have enough space for everyone.

GN: Thank you for your time, hospitality, and friendly attitude! The Gwangju News wishes you prosperity and endless enthusiasm.
BJE: Thank you for visiting us, Cami!

Gongyu Share Center is one of the most convenient places to get closer to diverse Korean culture. Its doors are always open not only to share traditional clothing and speak with staff but also to be transformed into a positive mood and have fun!

Gongyu Share Center
Address: 30 Hwasan-ro, Nam-gu, Gwangju 광주광역시 남구 화산로 30
Phone: 010-2391-0352

The Author
Cami is a student from Chonnam National University majoring in economics. She writes poems both in English and Russian. She is a faithful feminist who considers gender equality as one of the most important pillars of society. But her true loves are the waves of the sea and the tastes of cheese.

Leave a Reply