Paradise Behind the Curtain

Written and photographed by Nargiza Iskandarova

“Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country.”

This quote is a reflection of my life and those of many other foreigners who live or have lived in Gwangju. When I first came to Gwangju, everything seemed simple; however, when I became accustomed to living in this city and all its opportunities, I understood that life here is much more intriguing and beautiful than it initially seemed. Especially, this city is appealing for its unimaginable beauty and its way of welcoming people. Apart from this, I became familiar with its culture and customs. For example, I have been to weddings where the couples have worn hanbok – traditional attire that shows reverence towards the culture. I have experienced many things like this that are a small part of Korean culture. During my time here, I have made many international friends who have had quite similar opinions in terms of Korea. Here is a brief compilation of some of those friends’ impressions of Gwangju, and Korea in general, that I hope you will enjoy.

Harsh Kumar (India)
It was the fall of 2015 when I first arrived in Gwangju, after completing my one-year Korean language training at a university near Seoul. It was a very strange and lonely feeling when I started living here as most of my friends from the language institute went on to continue their studies in Seoul. For the first two months, I kept going to Seoul on weekends to meet my friends so I could avoid feelings of loneliness. But those feelings didn’t last long in the “City of Light,” Gwangju.

I think Gwangju has this positive energy that not only attracts you to it but also fills your life with positivity and enthusiasm. For those who don’t know about Gwangju, it’s a metropolitan city in the southwestern region of South Korea famous for its revolutionary democratic movement, abundance of foods, and incredible art and culture. Being at Chonnam National University, I’ve become very fond of Gwangju’s May 18 Democratization Movement in which the whole city came together to fight for democracy in South Korea.

I have many reasons why I like Gwangju more than any other place in South Korea, but I want to mention the top two. The first thing I like about Gwangju so much is the kindness and helping nature of people here. Second, you will never run out of opportunities in Gwangju. Whether it’s teaching Indian culture in Korean schools, sharing your views on the famous GFN radio station, or helping the international and local community through the platform of the Gwangju International Center, I’ve been able to do it all here.

Bahodir Komilov (Uzbekistan)
I came to Korea approximately two years ago with unlimited ambition to study as well as to explore a new culture. Initially, it was quite complicated to adapt to Gwangju because I had a problem with language know-how. I attempted to learn the Korean language and make a lot of Korean friends who could have a beneficial impact on my language abilities.

I started to love Gwangju after traveling around to places where I was able to see many beautiful and unforgettable things. Last year, I traveled to Busan, where I was mesmerized by its beaches and skyscrapers; however, Gwangju was different and more beautiful than any other place in Korea.

I loved Korean food even more than Uzbek food. Korean dishes are so multifaceted with ingredients and sauces that are undeniably delicious. It is important to take into account that kimchi in Gwangju is completely different and much tastier than anywhere else.

The city is also deemed a magnificent place to improve one’s education and communication spheres. Interestingly, my life was greatly improved thanks to the Asian Culture Center (ACC), where I was a reporter and volunteer; GFN, where I was a DJ; and CNU, where I was a volunteer. Last year, I was an exchange student in Malaysia, but I missed Gwangju because the people in Malaysia were not open-minded and sociable like they are here. In short, I love Gwangju.

International students in Gwangju gather for a group photo.

Melida Berton (France)
Life is beautiful, and if you choose the right place to live, then you will be the happiest person in the world. Currently, I am studying at Chonnam National University, majoring in business administration. The first impressions were the brightest, and everything made it seem like the greatest place to live. I was shocked by Gwangju’s unique nature, which was quite different from that of France. I have traveled a lot around the city, where I have seen the customs of Korea and have had a chance to taste various foods, which were all delicious. I have made a lot of international friends. I especially like the coffee shops because they are affordable and serve as comfortable places to have chats with friends. In France, it is quite expensive to find places as convenient as Korean coffee shops. I am fascinated by Korean attire because it is more formal that what I was used to in France. But here the only thing I miss is pasta, which is quite different from France’s. Still, I am in love with Gwangju.

Shelly Baumgartner (U.S.A.)
Living in Korea while studying abroad has been an amazing adventure that I will never forget. I met so many great people, including my two best friends, Mackenzie and Rachel, who were with me in the fall at Chonnam National University and who also go to Salisbury University. We visited so many places and tried so many new things. Coming from a small town in America, I was not really sure what to expect. I had never taken a taxi or a bus; I had my own car in America that I drive everywhere. Arriving in Korea gave me a huge culture shock. I am sure arriving in a new country would do that to anyone. Things are incredibly different in America. There, I do not live in a dorm – I live in a two-story house across from an open field and surrounded by trees. I think that might be the biggest difference between my life there and life in Gwangju, but if you go to cities in America it is a different story.

In Korea, I studied hard but also went on trips to Seoul, shopped, ate, and visited clubs for fun. Where I live in America, there are no clubs nearby, no karaoke places, and not many cafes either. I miss Korea with all the stores and restaurants near school, the hills we had to walk up to get to class, and the bakeries outside the school, where we could buy anything. There is so much to say about each place that I think the only way to really learn is to visit for yourself.

Olga Caballero Castillo and Adrian Lopez Navas (Spain)
To begin on an honest note, we were impressed by amazing Korea, especially the small city of Gwangju. When we came, everything seemed to be totally different: the culture, clothing style, and the lifestyle itself. In Spain, we usually choose clothes by matching various colors and following our own style. However, the majority of Korean people wear formal attire by following a certain trend. We usually enjoyed Korean food because it was really delicious, healthy, and cheap compared to that of Spain. In our country, people usually drink one cup of coffee in a day, but here it seems that people drink four to five cups of coffee, which is wonderful.

Korea is a very homogeneous country. This is portrayed in the clothing style itself. There are many beautiful people who will help you in any situation, especially in Gwangju. One day, we went to a restaurant to taste Korean traditional food, but Adrian left his phone behind. We went outside and a Korean woman came running up to us to give him his phone, which was really a relief because if we were in Spain, the situation might have been completely different. In Korea, we made many international friends with whom we often had fun exploring Gwangju.

The Author
Nargiza Iskandarova is from Uzbekistan. She matriculated from Medical College Fergana and is currently a student at Chonnam National University, majoring in English language and literature. She has been living and studying in South Korea for seven months and is considered to be the youngest member of Korea TESOL. Nargiza is interested in exchanging ideas with international teachers who can help her pursue her goals in higher education for a better future.

Leave a Reply