Eating Vegan in Gwangju: Plant-Based Places to Try This Spring

By Becca Buse

This spring, I encourage you to get out of your routine eating habits and spice things up. Why not give plant-based food a try in Gwangju? This past January, I participated in Veganuary (a 31-day vegan challenge during January). I was unsure if I could be 100 percent vegan in Gwangju due to the lack of obvious dining choices. However, Veganuary challenged me to learn about hidden vegan options in Gwangju. Through a mixture of cooking at home, exploring new places, and improving my Korean speaking skills, I was able to successfully navigate being vegan in Gwangju. In the spirit of Veganuary, I have created a vegan dining challenge for you all. I have compiled my favorite places to eat in Gwangju; I hope you enjoy a few this spring. 

Sujata interior.

For starters, if you have not been there already, my absolute favorite place in Gwangju is Sujata (수자타). This is a Buddhist buffet located near the Mudeung Mountain Park entrance. I love this buffet for its variety of dishes and cheap price (7,000 won). The only downside is you need to arrive between 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. They are open until 4:00 p.m. but normally stop people from arriving after 2:30 p.m. Consider a morning hike at Mudeung Mountain and a delicious meal at Sujata afterwards. This spring will be the perfect time to enjoy blooming wildflowers and cool air before feasting on vegan food.

Indian food is another fantastic option for vegans, and we have two in Gwangju: Raj Indian Restaurant near Chonnam National University and First Nepal Restaurant near the Asia Culture Complex. These are great for evenings out with a group of friends. Order a few options and share them all together.

Traditional Korean restaurants are also an option but require higher language skills or a Korean friend to tag along with you. The other day, I was able to order bibimbap (비빔밥) without egg easily. Another favorite Korean dish of mine is doenjang jjigae (된장찌개) – make sure to ask if they add fish to the broth or other animal products before ordering. Before coming to Korea, I had no idea the flavors I was missing out on. The unique broth boiled with the fermented soybean paste always satisfies my cravings. If you are feeling homesick, this is the dish for you.

Doenjang jjigae (된장찌개)

On the other hand, if you are craving a salad, there are a few innovative restaurants across Gwangju. My favorite is Slow Cali. There is a location in the Suwan area where I teach, and another near the Asia Culture Complex. I order their Oriental Tofu Bowl and add mushrooms or avocado. They also have a tomato soup that is delicious. Since I have visited so often, they will serve me extra mushrooms free of charge! Slow Cali is a great option if you are looking to meet a friend for lunch and enjoy a clean atmosphere.

When it comes to baked goods, these are the most difficult for vegans – yet still not impossible. Locally in Suwan, there is Swallow Bakery. They make delicious sourdough bread. It has become my neighborhood addiction. Just be sure to check their schedule, as they are closed Sundays and Mondays, and usually sell out by 6:00 p.m. Additionally, there are a few cafes in Gwangju that have vegan options. Enough Mood is one that comes to mind. They also have a selection of gluten-free baked goods; all are clearly labeled with stickers. This cafe also sells small gifts and stationery. 

If you enjoy cooking at home, I recommend buying your vegetables locally from iCOOP Natural Dream (아이쿱 자연드림). They are the largest coop in Korea and have various locations across Gwangju. As a member, you get discounted prices that make a difference when on a budget. All of their fresh produce comes from Korea or is sustainably sourced. They also have healing foods and vitamins to meet all your nutritional needs. Recently, they have added more vegan options to their selections such as vegan dumplings and XMeat vegan cutlets. Both can be found in their freezer section.

While it is exciting to write about the amazing food I have become acquainted with here in Gwangju, I should also share that I have had a number of vegan fails as well (including taking a bus to the opposite side of Gwangju to find out the restaurant was closed). I would love to be able to say I have been 100 percent vegan since the day I started, but that is not true. I am not perfect. But eating plant-based is not about being perfect. It is about trying foods that will protect and sustain the Earth. It is about enjoying the food you eat and exploring new options you have never considered. When I have made a mistake and eaten fish by accident, it taught me about food culture in Korea and the Korean language. As a vegan, I have learned more than if I had not tried. Eating vegan is a fantastic learning opportunity.

Food at Sujata.

One non-vegan place I recently visited was Ahorita, a Mexican restaurant. I met two non-vegan friends and knew I was being the annoying vegan. I asked the server about adaptable menu options, but none turned out to be vegan friendly. I ended up ordering a giant side of tortillas and guacamole. With a margarita in hand and good friends, I called it a successful evening (and found more food the next day).

That being said, I hope being vegan will make a difference. Maybe someday when I ask, “Do you have soy milk?” they will have it. For now, I feel like a rogue vegan in a city of meat eaters. And I am okay with that because I have found a great community of friends to support me. We go hiking, try vegan options together, and even cook for each other. I could not have asked for a better place in Korea to live.

Related Links

Veganuary: veganuary.com

iCOOP Natural Dream: icoop.co.kr/coopmall/

The Author

English teacher by day and writer by night, Becca Buse has been living in Gwangju for a year. As a global thinker, Becca is an advocate for protecting the Earth, caring for communities, and peace-building. In her free time, she enjoys hikes with Gwangju Hikers Club, cooking, and reading fiction. Instagram: @bkahbuse