Beyond the Books: Anjel Abroad

By Anjel Iriaghomo

I came from the United States to South Korea with very few expectations. Unlike most of the students I’ve met here, I am not in love with K-dramas, I do not listen to K-pop, and had no inkling of the language. You are probably thinking, “Well why did you come to South Korea?” There honestly were not many factors that went into the decision, but being here has opened my eyes wider than I imagined.

The very photo-friendly Purple Islands in Shinan, South Jeolla Province. Be sure to wear your favorite purple piece!

I do not know many seniors who decide to study abroad in their last semester of undergrad, but I would honestly recommend it. Studying abroad is an amazing opportunity that I urge every student to take part in during their academic career. It can be very stressful and costly, but if you are diligent and resourceful, a life-changing experience awaits you. Universities have their own policies, but if you intend on transferring credits, make sure you are aware of the process! At my school, Clemson University, the process was fairly smooth. I first had to fill out a study abroad application where I was paired with a special advisor who walked me through the entire process and was there to help answer my questions. Luckily, I finished my degree requirements last year, so I did not need to worry about transferring any credits back and was able to take classes I was actually interested in. If I were worried about that, I would have had to make sure the classes taken at Chonnam National University aligned with the requirements for my degree back home. After getting the application approved, I had to select the country and program I wanted to attend. I selected the USAC (University Studies Abroad Consortium) Gwangju program. The main factors in choosing a program were cost and lifestyle. Korea was one of the few countries with program fees less than $10,000, and Gwangju was thousands of dollars cheaper than Seoul. I also was slightly interested in East Asian culture, having attended an elementary school where I learned a lot of Japanese. Of course, with visa applications, flights, quarantine fees, and more, the true cost really started to accumulate.

Fortunately, being awarded a Gilman International Study Abroad Scholarship, USAC scholarships, financial aid, and working full time up until my departure, I was able to be comfortable with coming here for a semester. I cannot emphasize scholarships enough! I have met so many students who did not know they qualified or did not know where to start.

Once I was committed to the program, the next steps were securing my visa, flights, and packing. USAC always did their best to answer any and all questions we had, so they really helped ease the stress. I took it upon myself to contact all the students who were also going to Gwangju and added us to a group chat, which I highly recommend if possible to help establish a friend group, and just for knowing you are not alone in this huge step in your life.

In front of Enrogel Teapot Café, a hidden gem in Jangseong-gun. This quirky little spot offers drinks, local cuisine, and is only a 15-minute taxi ride to Yellow City.

After getting out of quarantine – the longest seven days that felt like forever – and getting acquainted with my new surroundings, I quickly adopted a new routine. I signed up for a membership at the gym on campus, located my favorite cafes in lieu of a meal plan, and started to get comfortable with my new home. Overall, the food is pretty yummy but not as nutritious as I assumed. Fruits and vegetables are imported, so they are quite a luxury. In a normal week, I go to the gym five times in the morning, go to my classes, and the rest is up in the air. Almost every weekend is spent traveling either within Gwangju or throughout the country. I have been to Seoul, Busan, Yellow City, Purple City, and am going to Jeju Island at the end of May.

I did not know what to expect about living in Korea, but as an African-American woman with a colorful personality, I figured I would not go unnoticed easily. Let me preface by saying I have never been blatantly mistreated or disrespected; for the most part, the people I have encountered are very good-hearted. When people repeatedly started asking for pictures with me, a lot of my friends concluded it was because of my long pink braids, but when my hairstyle changed and it was still occurring, I really started thinking. Prior to coming here, I watched many videos from black bloggers who experienced the same thing when they went abroad. They concluded it is because we are so different, locals think we are celebrities, and that we are very beautiful. While positive, it is still very strange when I am out and people literally flag me down to take videos and photos with me. Aside from that, my appreciation for Korean culture has definitely evolved. The overall cost of living is significantly cheaper than America, which is a huge plus, and I will never get over the mountainous landscapes. I appreciate the historical significance throughout the country and how the people here are very warm and kind.

If you had told me a year ago I would be studying abroad in South Korea, you could not have paid me to believe it. While living here has presented its fair share of challenges, I do not regret coming. I have met so many people from all over the world that it feels like a movie most of the time. Did you know Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan were two different countries? Yeah, me neither! I am incredibly blessed to now have friends all over the globe, and I still have two months left here to meet so many more. Studying abroad continues to be one of the best decisions in my life, and I wish everyone the opportunity to really immerse themselves in a foreign country.

The Author

Anjel Iriaghomo is a Nigerian-American senior animal science major studying abroad this spring. She loves to travel and explore different cultures. Writing and photography are two of her favorite hobbies. If you see Anjel around town, do not be afraid to say hi! Stay connected on Instagram @__anjel.