A Decade of Deliciousness: The First Alleyway Celebrates 10 Years

Written by William Urbanski.

If ever there was a business in Gwangju that acted as a community institution, The First Alleyway would be it. Since first coming to Korea over eight years ago, my experience here has been punctuated by visits to the Alleyway, whether for Sunday morning bacon and eggs or Saturday night pizza. While I was not around for most of its first iteration – a small two-story location that, if memory serves me correctly, also operated a grocery store next door called the Underground – the current location of the Alleyway has been my go-to restaurant since it opened.

The cozy bar at the Alleyway.

For the two or three people in Gwangju who may not be familiar with The First Alleyway, it is a foreigner-owned and operated restaurant in the downtown area. It is one of the few places in Gwangju where one can get a decent, true-tasting burger, probably the only place that has poutine, and is without question the purveyor of the best pizza on the Korean Peninsula. In addition to its culinary specialties, it is also a bar and has hosted a wide variety of community events.

On September 28, the Alleyway celebrated its tenth anniversary. While my wife and I are regular patrons and Saturday is usually a busy night, it was nice to see the Alleyway absolutely bustling and full of familiar faces.

There are a couple of items on The First Alleyway’s menu that hold a special place in my heart, as well as in my stomach. While over the past couple of months I have been making my way through all the sandwiches on the menu, on the night of the anniversary, I decided to go for the King James Poutine. Topped with pork, tomatoes, and jalapeno peppers, it was a challenge to finish off the whole serving by myself, even though it was so tasty that I would have liked to keep eating. During my youth in Canada, my family would regularly go out for wings and fries at one of our favorite local restaurants, so naturally, one of my favorite Alleyway specials over the past couple of years has been Wing Wednesday. On Wing Wednesday, wings are only 500 won, and any self-respecting person will try to put down at least fifteen, plus a plate of fries.

Keeping any business going for ten years is an accomplishment, especially a restaurant in the ultra-competitive Korean market. So in a sense, The First Alleyway acts as a case study as to what makes a business here endure and thrive. It is only natural to ask what exactly sets the Alleyway apart from other places that serve “Western” food. First, it is a commitment to the consistent quality of its menu coupled with fair prices. Next is its overall relaxed environment complimented with the friendly servers. Last, the Alleyway is regularly involved with the community and acts as a hub for various foreigner groups. This trifecta means that virtually everyone has a positive impression and good memories of the Alleyway.

Life in Korea can be exciting, hectic, and unfamiliar, and the Alleyway fulfills a niche market that franchises of other so-called Western restaurants never can. Here is to wishing the Alleyway another ten years of success!

The Author

William Urbanski, managing editor of the Gwangju News, has an MA in international relations and cultural diplomacy. He is married to a wonderful Korean woman, always pays cash, and keeps all his receipts.

Leave a Reply