Gwangju City’s Five Ss

Written and photographed by Carlota Smith

Five years is not a long time to get to know a city such as Gwangju. It may have been a quick yet exhilarating ride to survive the hustle and bustle of this city, but it is something I will always hold dear. It is a home to many foreigners just like me. There are five special things that I believe make Gwangju the easiest and most comfortable place to be, and they all begin with “S.”

The Strength of Character
For someone to understand the city folks best, they must know a little of the city’s history. It is a city known for its feisty and collective power. Gwangju people are in a close-knit web in which people, especially foreigners, imbibe this feeling, thus engaging themselves in a closer encounter with others. All over the place, the picture tells you that Gwangju folks do not know fear and are not ones to back down. The May 18th Memorial Cemetery or the movie A Taxi Driver will educate you. To survive in this city, it helps if you are strong-willed.

The Sincerity
Have you heard of anyone who is utterly sincere in their words? I have been blessed to have met people who sincerely had faith in me. It may sound sobby, but I am not ashamed to always share this story. My first few months as an international student had been rough and while on the verge of giving up, one of my professors stood up for me and only good things followed. Taking a bullet for him and his family would not be difficult for me. Working in various organizations has also allowed me to encounter sincere and honest Gwangju folks. The Gwangju International Center (GIC) and City Hall people deserve special mention.

Social involvement never falters. Most people were always on the go

The Social Involvement
I remember the first time somebody asked me what my impression of Gwangju was. I proudly said, “Gwangju people are rough.” After a while, I changed my mind. I commend the social involvement and friendliness of most people I have met. I lived in a one-room villa, and I will not forget how kind my landlord was. He saw me with just my luggage upon moving in, and he was so quick to offer some dishes and some pots for me to use. That kindness was on top of the fact that I did not need to pay my security deposit, or yeyak-geum (예약금), since I was at that time financially broke. Was he not amazing? I have heard of people struggling to get a house because of the security deposit, but here I was, in front of a fatherly figure offering me kindness with no expectation of anything in return. Well, in return I took the initiative to clean the hallway to my heart’s content on the weekends.

The Sultriness
In Gwangju, one always has a feeling of dynamic personalities. This is not only obvious in people’s attitude but also in their food. You would not be a loner if you were to go to a gathering because everyone shares the mood and the food. Gwangju folks love to eat, and they eat with gusto. They often ask me to diet, but then they take me to sumptuous meals with so much to eat that it became hard to breathe. I guess it also adds to the strength of the people, young and old.

Food will never run out. Food and smiles are in abundance.

And the Smile
I like the prompters they have at every bus stop. The videos show how one smile can change the mood of the day. Indeed, every place I go, I met people with extraordinary smiles that diffused all my insecurities and my worries. I have been lonely for a while, but when I started to check at every bus stop, I learned Gwangju’s way of life and eventually their smile.

It has been barely three months that I have been away, but I do terribly miss Gwangju. It is a city worthy of going back to.

The Author
Carlota Smith is an international student and researcher, and a language enthusiast. She has worked as an English professor in the Philippines, but from 2014–2018, she attended and completed an MA TESOL program at Gwangju University. She enjoyed volunteering at the GIC and at the Gwangju Metropolitan City Hall (GMCH). Carlota likes to think that Gwangju is her home away from her hometown, Baguio City, in the Philippines.

Leave a Reply