Fear No More! Our Trip to Chosun University Dental Hospital

By Karina Prananto

I think it is no secret that almost everyone dislikes the dentist. Well, maybe not the dentists themselves, but the alcohol-smell-filled room, the sound of the drill, and weird-looking dental tools are enough to cause nightmares as fears come to life at the dental office for both adults and kids. I myself went to the dentist so many times during my childhood for regular scaling and surgeries to remove four wisdom teeth that it completely erased my fear of the dentist, and now I will just step into any clinic with almost no feeling at all. I thank my parents for being so fearless in taking me there regularly despite the many hours we had to sit in the waiting room. It was in the 1990s, so there was no smart phones or tablets to keep me busy.

The waiting room.

But now as a mother myself, I have had to step into the dental office more than expected. Children’s teeth are more fragile and prone to cavities. My son does not eat candies but still has trouble brushing his own teeth. I would trade sitting in that reclining chair myself for my son if I had to, rather than hear him scream bloody murder, causing all the weird looks from other parents (although I could not care less). I have been to several dental clinics in Gwangju all over the “gus” for years – for myself and my son – and I cannot seem to find one perfect place that can fully understand us, although I have told the dental staff before visiting that I am a mother to a special needs child, as my son is autistic, which presents more challenges because he is non-verbal and cannot say which parts of his teeth are hurting.

I know Chosun University has a good dental clinic, but I have no idea why I have never been there. I heard stories that big university dental hospitals like to invite student doctors to “help” the dentist, but I hate having strangers around me and letting them see my teeth being treated. But on a fateful day in May, I had to bring my son there because the pediatric dentist that he and I just recently visited to take care of his baby teeth asked me to pay 600,000 won for crowns. As soon as they quoted me the price, I walked out and urgently looked for a second opinion, but it was already 3 p.m., and most clinics require reservations. Chosun University Dental Office came to mind, so I quickly rang them up, and they said they also welcomed walk-in visits. I rushed there and told them our situation, and a female doctor kindly asked me a few things before asking my son to sit in the chair.

The spacious lobby.

Now, my son hates the dentist because he hates having strange objects in his mouth. He had to be restrained in the previous dental office, and I was so worried it would cause him trauma. But to my surprise, there he sat by himself and let the doctor examine him before asking us to go for an X-ray (he did amazing there, too, because at the previous place, he tried to bite the nurses). They found out that he had four cavities (not six like the other place said), but only one needed urgent treatment. Yes, there were student doctors there, and they helped him hold his mouth steady, but to my surprise, he did not need any restraining belt, and I was so happy that he did not even flinch or scream once! I thought it was a miracle.

I went home after paying 80,000 won and booked another trip there for the next three months because they have to regularly check his baby teeth. I cannot believe that I did not go there in the beginning. It is closer to home and my son seemed to enjoy the trip.

The examination room.

Chosun University Dental Hospital is located near downtown and is adjacent to Chosun University. It is a big, white building in front of the big road, so you cannot miss it. The parking is spacious and free if you have had prior treatment there. It usually just takes us a maximum of one hour from the examination to the X-ray, and then finally the treatment. There is a book corner in the pediatric unit where the kids can read. There are several doctors and many chairs, so you will not have to wait long. They do not charge us more than they should and, most of all, my son loves it! If you have a child and are looking for a dentist, either for the kid or for yourself, I truly recommend going there.

Every procedure is efficient. The doctor even gave my son a small toy for being so calm during the treatment. If you are unsure about the communication, the doctors there speak good English. I spoke with several and there were zero issues. Now, I will walk in there again in three months with confidence, as my son has finally found his perfect dentist. It is truly an achievement for us all.

CHOSUN UNIVERSITY DENTAL HOSPITAL
조선대학교치과병원
Tel: 062-220-3800

The Author
Karina Prananto is from Jakarta, Indonesia, and has been involved with the Gwangju News since 2007. She is a special-needs mother and loves Harry Potter, dinosaurs, watching true crime documentaries, and traveling with her family.