The Wiz – A Musical by Charlie Small

Written by Sashai Yhukutwana
Photographs courtesy of GPP

Sometime in August while talking with a friend…

Friend: “So do you want to try out for the next production?”
Me: “Hm, you know how the theater bug bites, but I’m afraid there are other pressing matters at hand. Anyway… what’s the next production called?”
Friend: “The Wiz!”
Me: “The Wiz… as in The Wizard of Oz?”

The images had quickly come to mind: adventures along a yellow brick road, a young rural-looking girl in red shoes accompanied by her dog, and a curious company of characters making their way to a mysterious, scary wizard they desperately hope will grant them their respective wishes.

Director team giving feedback after rehearsal

My friend’s voice drifts back into focus: “No, The Wiz, just Wiz. Yeah it pretty much follows the story of the original Wizard of Oz, except The Wiz is all SOUL, girl!”
“Curious,” I thought. “Those images in my mind didn’t quite strike me as translatable to soul.”

Until…

Walking into the GIC (Gwangju International Center) that day, I was immediately arrested by the beautiful sounds of piano music accompanying fun melodies and excited tones. I couldn’t help but stop, rooted to the spot. I was absolutely overcome by strong nostalgia, completely transported back to my childhood on some happy memory conjured by the melodies floating out from that rehearsal hall. It wasn’t because I knew the title of the song or its words; the best I could do was hum along to one or two songs off the Wizard of Oz soundtrack anyway. It’s hard to describe how I felt. All I can say is, “Everybody, prepare to be dazzled by The Wiz, its soulful twin sister!”

I’d done a little digging before attending the rehearsals that Sunday afternoon and found that The Wiz has its own indelible print, particularly on American theatrical history. Reviewed as “an urban fairytale,” “zesty,” and a “well-rounded” musical theater production, The Wiz is an urban musical version of the original performed by an all-black cast that had debuted on Broadway in the mid-1970s. Charlie Smalls was the African-American composer and songwriter who wrote the music accompaniment to playwright William F. Brown’s 1975 Broadway musical. It was meant to echo the African-American experience by showcasing a relatable, “fantastical creation” as one blogger described it when writing about her experience watching it as a child. I wondered if this was the case for some of our own community members involved in the upcoming production right here in Gwangju.

Learning the songs

Running into the show’s choreographer, the talented Miss Jordan Mathis, I asked about her views on the significance The Wiz presents here in Gwangju:

“The production has been a rewarding experience. After seeing what was done with The Wiz Live television special that aired in the U.S. on NBC in 2015, I was really determined to create fun and visually stunning choreography that would complement the amazing music and singing. I’m very excited to do this production within Gwangju. Our cast is wonderfully diverse with representatives of both the Korean and foreign community. I really hope that children watching this show will leave feeling happy and inspired!”

With less than a month left to go by the time I dropped in on rehearsals, it was clear that a lot of heart and hard work had been invested in the creation of what will be a heartwarming, delightful, and fun production that, according to its director, Robyn Bramwell, will hopefully leave the audience feeling “happy and touched.”

Cast meet up outside the ACC

“I’ve been a member of GPP [Gwangju Performance Project] for almost four years, and it had been a dream of mine to do a show especially for the children and also feature some in the play as cast members. Many Gwangju expats are elementary school teachers, so children are quite literally our livelihood here. I just really wanted to give something back to them and hopefully inspire a few to explore the art of theater. Also, the cast has put in so much effort, and I’m blown away by their talent. The vibe of our rehearsals has been very positive, and I love watching them encourage each other. I’m glad I could help put together a project that connects so many different members of the community: students, teachers, expats, and locals.”

As we head full steam towards the end of 2018, a year full of alternate worlds and fantasy (think: Marvel, Star Wars, etc.), I imagine the plot to bring The Wiz to the Gwangju stage is something theater enthusiasts will appreciate wholeheartedly. It brings something we can learn from and be inspired by, something to feel and cherish, and something to warm our souls. Be sure to make a date with the cast; bring friends, family, and foes if you like! I can’t wait to be reminded of the whimsical, carefree parts of my childhood: believing in magic and taking flights of fancy with my imagination!

Dates: December 1 and 8 at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. (each date) / December 2 and 9 at 3 p.m.
Email: gpptickets@gmail.com (for ticket reservations)

The Author
Sashai Yhukutwana is an English teacher in Gwangju. She likes taking advantage of open evenings to read, nap, do Bible studies, cook, and sometimes have a nice chat with a friend over a hot drink or go for a weekly sweat at Zumba. Her students know her as a basketball player, coworkers think she is a fashionista, and yet Sashai truly likes nothing more than seeing others shine their light bright for their absolute pleasure, and the benefit of all.

Leave a Reply